of the domain
The first vines were planted by Jean Baudou in 1865 on the Verac district. Mainly planted with Sauvignon blanc, Jean and then his son were producing only white wine back then.
Castagnac and the Coudert Family
The history of the Château Castagnac continues with Paul Coudert, who decide to take over the vineyard after being a hairdresser and a builder. He acquires some land on the "Castagnat" district which means nut in the local dialect and that will finally gives it names to the vineyard.
A few years later, he and his wife Denis Coudert will again expand the domain by acquiring 10 hectares in AOC Bordeaux Superieur.
The rise of the wine activity
In the 70s, Bernard Coudert, 4th generation of the family, starts a deap restructuration of the domain and acquires land in AOC Fronsac and Bordeaux Superieur. Most of the work previously done by horses is now mechnical.
The years 2000
Besides his winemaker activities, Bernard Coudert has always been involved in the wine syndicat and associations of Bordeaux. He now runs the GDON des Bordeaux which accompany the winemakers in their approach of treating their vine against the flavescence doréeand other diseases of the vines.
Bernard Coudert also received the Medal of agriculture in 2005 by the Ministery.
In 2016, Lydia Coudert, 5th generation of winemakers at Castagnac, joined the team to run all the commercial activities. Since 2018, many environmental actions have been taken to convert into organic.
All the activities from the plantation to the bottling are done at Castagnac by the permanent team. We control the whole chain and tracability.